Thursday, March 03, 2005

bombing, 'cease-fire', and the library

flyingears

As you have probably heard, there was a suicide bombing in Tel
Aviv a couple of nights ago. Four Israelis and the bomber were
killed. This is really, really sad. What a waste. This whole
situation is shit for everyone involved. And as long as this
oppressive occupation continues, so will people on all sides suffer.
There is a lot to talk about when discussing suicide bombers; personal and family histories of those who choose to do this, the reality that people have to deal with every day here, and much, much more. I don't want to start right now. I want to write some about my reactions to the way in which the situation here is portrayed. After this bombing, Israel and the United States were saying that it jeopardized the cease-fire. What cease-fire? Just in the last few weeks two men were executed, one left to bleed to death and mutilated, a boy was shot and killed, and two other men were killed in Gaza, just to mention some of the violence I have heard about and nothing about the daily, ingrained oppression that constantly seeks to humiliate and degrade every person in this society. Did you read this in the newspaper or see it on your television? Israel is a massively powerful entity with missiles,
tanks, bombs, fighter jets, helicopters, nightvison, m-16s,
bulldozers, jeeps, flak jackets, attack dogs, and fully equipped and
trained soldiers. And billions of dollars to fund it all.
The imbalance of the 'conflict' is incredible. As is the sheer
quantity of personal and family tragedy. Like the soap maker who pulled up his shirt to show me thick purple scars from gunshots to his stomach, or like a friend in Askar whose nine year old cousin was killed in the street a few months ago by soldiers in a tank, or like a man I know whose son was arrested while I was here before-14 months ago-and is still sitting in prison without even being charged with anything (and after being beaten and shot in the foot during the arrest in the middle of the night). And on and on and on and on.

I was in Nablus' public library the other day, a place where I like to go and read or sit outside and look out onto the streets or up into the mountains. It is a peaceful and quiet place with a beautiful garden and cool trees. It was built 110 years ago during the Ottoman Empire. Anyway, one afternoon recently I was sitting at a table reading when a young girl sat down next to me. I could tell she really wanted to talk--after a little while and several quick glances, she asked me my name. We talked for a few minutes, she introduced herself as Heba. A friend of hers came over and they sat together for awhile, talking in whispers while Heba wrote on a piece of paper torn from her notebook. She got up to leave and gave me the paper folded in half. This is what it said:

I name Heba I live in Nabluse
Now I tell you the life in Nabluse very
difficult and so bad I hope from
american to help country the palestine

Thank Matt

I hope that shows what I mean. The fundamental difference in this
'conflict'. I don't know if I am being clear but I feel like this
note is the only way right now to express what I mean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home