Wednesday, June 13, 2007

stuff

We are getting ready to move to a different place in town. It is amazing how much stuff I have accumulated. It is maybe especially bad when we have an attic space to store things.

It's been a long time coming, though. Much of the "stuff" I moved here with. I just put it in boxes and hauled it here. This time, though, I am taking more time and trying to lighten the load. But it's difficult for me to get rid of some things, even though there is no real purpose to keep them. The longer I am going through stuff, though, the easier it seems to be to part with things. And there is much that I have accumulated, stuck away in the dark recesses of the attic, that hasn't been difficult to throw out. But still it is really weird that it is so difficult with some things.

It has been interesting. A lot of memories. Many from high school and college and some even from childhood and junior high. Things from different trips and periods of my life.

Part of the difficulty is that I just don't like throwing stuff into the landfill where it will just sit and not even rot. Things that I can give to someone--a friend or a thrift store are not so bad in that sense.

Dan, do you remember the Happy G-Day box? That is one thing that has been hiding out up in the attic. Also, a candle that Amy Hamar gave me in some Christmas exchange years ago. Notes from friends, a pair of shoes from junior high, lots of pieces of paper with people's phone numbers, and a bunch more. It does feel good to be sorting through all this and throwing out and figuring out what it is I do still want to haul around.

1 Comments:

Blogger dj said...

Happy G-Day! Hell yeah I remember that! I can't beleive you actually still have that! Awesome!

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home