Tuesday, December 04, 2007

feminism and comics

I really like reading comics. But there is a problem. It is very difficult to find comic books that are not sexist and misogynistic. Browsing through new comics, it seems the problem is increasing (this is is not relegated solely to comics).

Sometimes I find some old comics that are not so thoroughly sexist and that I enjoy reading. There is only one new comic on the newsstands that I read....it's the only one I've found that's not sexist (and also doesn't have advertisements and has a story that I enjoy). All you have to do is look at the cover illustrations on the majority of comics on the rack to realize how endemic the problem is.

I was just sitting, thinking about comics, misogyny, gender roles, the sexual objectification of women, and related ideas when I decided to do an internet search for 'feminist comics.'

I came across the following site: http://girl-wonder.org/girlsreadcomics/

I read through a few posts at random and liked what I saw. It is basically a blog in which people write about comics through a feminist perspective. And I really liked what I read. If you are interested in comic books and/or feminism and/or just not being a sexist, misogynistic member of our culture, check it out.

1 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

In what ways are comics sexist? Is it a certain type of genre of comics, or comics published by a certain publisher I don't read comics, so I'm just curious.

...I just typed the word "comics" a lot. It sounds funny if you repeat it about a dozen times.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home