Thursday, January 24, 2008

jemm, luther, and crazy freddie in the sewers

I went on a great bike ride today and ended up at some frozen ponds. Groves of cottonwoods stood tall and grey and a thick bed of leaves covered the ground, with patches of snow and grass. I saw a fox; it stopped atop a hill to look briefly at me and then disappeared down into a shallow drainage.

I read the first couple issues of a comic book called "Jemm: Son of Saturn." It was published sometime in the mid eighties. So far, it's about an alien that is lost and alone on earth. He befriends a kid (yeah, it sounds like ET but is a lot different) and by the end of the second issue they are down in the sewers of New York. There is a haunting image of a body floating face up in the sewer water, slowly drifting away from Jemm, Luther (the boy), and a homeless man named Freddie. The body is that of another Saturnian, a white skinned native of the planet from which Jemm also calls home, although he has red skin. These two inhabitants of Saturn, the red skinned people and the white skinned people, have been locked in genocidal war on their home world. Apparently this person, Kamah, has come to earth to kill Jemm but fails and is killed by Jemm. As the body floats away, Jemm is crying.

It's very interesting so far, and I'm excited to read the rest of them. After I find some old comics that I actually like and after reading them, it seems like I might never find more that I want to read. So, I'm happy I tried this one.

1 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

That comic sounds vaguely familiar, though I have no idea where I would have heard it from.

Sounds interesting, though!

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home