Thursday, March 03, 2005

flyingears

I wrote the below posting a couple of days ago but hadn't yet posted it. I still feel a little wierd about writing to this blog. I feel like I can't give enough information or adequately relate my own feelings. But that is the nature of communication, I guess. Anyway, I have been having some really good times the last several days. I started working with some kids in New Askar--doing some photography stuff and drawing. The kids are wonderful. They are really cool. We played a lot of hacky sack, too.

I went to a puppet making workshop in Balata yesterday. It was also really fun. There was a group of about a dozen girls, maybe around 10 to 12 years old, working on big puppets--an apple, a bananna, an octopus, and some other crazy looking things. It was fun. And another good thing--strawberries are now five shekels a kilo. That's crazy! And they are so good and sweet.

Last night a tank and about 20 jeeps entered the city, although I couldn't see them from where I am staying. A helicopter was also flying around for at least an hour, which I could hear but not see. I don't know yet what was going on. The other night there was a large explosion in the old city. I talked with a friend in the old city and he said it was the military blowing up a door to look for people. Most every night there are gunshots and sometimes explosions. But this of course never makes the news. There was another bombing in Tel Aviv last night and it was big news. It has been identified as a criminal bombing, unrelated to the situation here. It is strange though, and I hadn't really thought about it specifically until recently, but a bombing in Tel Aviv is big news but the regular explosions here are not mentioned. People wake up and it's back to the market or the university or whatever.

I have both the art class in New Askar and an english class in Old Askar today. These are two of my favorite classes and I am excited to see what the kids will draw today. For anyone reading this--thanks for taking the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home