Wednesday, March 23, 2005

home

flyingears

I am back home now. I had a long plane ride and I was really sick so it pretty much sucked. But it’s done now. There is so much that I did not write about; I almost feel that this blog was a failure because I excluded so many things. One thing I did want to talk about is my second to last night in Nablus. I mentioned this already, I think.

I went to Nazeeh’s house again to visit his family before leaving. I have known Nazeeh since first meeting him last year in the class I taught in Askar Cadeem and I have visited his family several times. Every time I have come to their house his older brother has not been there or has left the room shortly after I arrived. His brother went to university for Arabic and political science and now teaches Arabic. It was never a problem but I did notice it. A few nights ago, when I went with Nazeeh to his family’s house again, I walked in the front door and his family was all gathered around close together talking. His father was lying on the floor, as he usually does (he is crippled) and everyone else was sitting around him in chairs or on the mattress Nazeeh’s father was on. Nazeeh’s older brother was sitting in a chair and motioned me over to sit next to him. He began talking to me. He told me that when I first came with Nazeeh to their house, his conscience would not allow him to speak to me because I was an American. This is why he always got up and left when I arrived. But, he said, after hearing about me from his brother Nazeeh and hearing us talk together, he changed. He said his mind completely changed. He told me that he was very happy that we had really finally met. And he told me that he could see what kind of a person I was. It was a really great night. We all sat around and talked and did the usual drinking of tea. We ate numerous cucumbers, too. Nazeeh’s father said at one point “this is the most beautiful night!” That is how I was feeling, too.

So, that is one thing that I wanted to be sure to mention. There is really so much more—a lot of it concerns the generosity of people that I have met. And also the strength and sincerity of relationships made over such a short period of time. Relationships with both Palestinians and internationals. It was powerfully sad and happy the last two nights. I already miss friends there so much. And now I am here. It’s pretty weird.

I wrote the above a couple of days ago but haven't yet posted it. It IS pretty wierd being back home. I walked around a lot today, down to the river and around the banks. It has been overcast and grey today, and a little cold. It felt really good to wander around beneath the clouds; it matched how I felt. After I started back to my apartment, the rain began and it was coming down pretty good by the time I got back.

Someone stole my bike yesterday. So, that was a lot of fun. I picked up a comic book collection at the library and read that--it was mostly space adventure. And that's about that. I don't know if I should write anymore to this blog, since it was about my experiences in the West Bank. I don't know. Maybe I will continue it, if for no other reason, then just to have a reason to write something. Actually, not really much of a reason but that's okay. I'm not sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home