Monday, October 05, 2009

drinking in fall

It's been a great weekend--well, I guess it's Monday now, and no longer the weekend--but it was really excellent. Jen and I were able to spend a lot of time together, we had fun with some friends, ate some great meals, went to a free wind symphony concert, and a lot of books-to-prisoners stuff got done.

I went swimming today and it really felt good. Now it's afternoon and a cool autumn day. Perfect for flannels and hooded sweatshirts.

I was in Pittsburgh a little more than a week ago for resistance to the G20 summit. Did you hear anything about that? I'm guessing there wasn't much national coverage of it. I've been to mass mobilizations before; a common criticism is that resistance/protests are practically scripted and end up being a drain on the local communities which, afterward, often end up having to deal with increased police repression. Well, this particular mass mobilization really felt different. I'm not going to get into it here, but it felt like a success. There are several narratives that can be found elsewhere if folks are interested in reading about what happened (like here, for example).

Are people excited about the changing seasons? Anyone? It's nice weather for coffee and beer and hot cider. Maybe even all in the same sitting.

2 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

I tried to follow what I could about the summit, and I wondered in the back of my mind if you would be there. You are right, though; I really did not find much coverage of it at all.
Unless you count Colonel Gaddafi's 90 minute speech, but really, that was about it.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't hear anything about it, but I don't watch much TV.

It is also a nice time of the year for beer drinking in Minnesota! Probably in ND too.

I'm actually having a beer and watching the Vikings beat up on the Packers right now. I could go for some hot (apple) cider as well.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home