Friday, February 18, 2011

conturbat

[The scene is a small living-room with the sunlight of late afternoon falling through the paned glass of windows. It is late winter, and the winds of a cold front blow against the house. A figure is seen sitting in an armchair.]

I need another beer if I'm gonna write anything here today.

[The figure rises from the chair, walks to a table and retrieves a beer.]

I'm kinda sad right now. You know, it's that kind of sadness that I think there's some German word for, or something like that. I don't know. Probably not the best time to drink beer. I rarely drink these days, which is good I suppose. For a short while I tried drinking to ease the pain I have in my leg and foot. It mildly helped, but I really, really dislike being hungover. It feels like a waste of existence. And I get semi-hungover very easily these days. So, I don't drink much.

Nice little caveat there. Speaking of Latin, I just recently encountered the Latin phrase that means "I am disturbed by the fear of death." I read a translation and collation of the Epic of Gilgamesh recently. It's really, really good. In the introduction to this particular version, the Latin phrase is mentioned as a sort of theme to the epic. And it is. A theme of the epic, I mean. The fear of death disturbs me. I mentioned that to someone and they asked "whose--their own or someone else's?" I guess that's a pretty good question.

[The sound of vehicles on the street outside can be heard. A light has been switched on inside the house. The sun is not yet down.]

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ayearning said...

"We are born dying." It's what you do with the present moment that counts.

5:25 PM  
Blogger matt iv said...

I like that...thanks for sharing it here.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home