Friday, April 25, 2014

Giant Robots!

Or, pretty small robots, really.


I got these plastic robots out of 25 cent machines at a pizza joint back in Bismarck when I was a kid.  They were so much fun!  I made up stories about their adventures--cosmic, star-spanning narratives...the robots traversing the galaxies, friends no matter what.


One great thing about being a kid is that you can play anywhere and no one gives you a weird look.  I remember one time, I was playing with these robots on a chain-link fence at a soccer and softball complex.  There was the freshly mowed grass, the cool metal of the fence, the vast sky overhead, and me--with the little robots jumping up the geometric spaces between the links of the fence.  I doubt anyone thought I was strange as I narrated a story in my head explaining the actions of these solid color wonders as they hopped up the fence.  If I did that in public now, I think I'd get some strange looks.


 Not that I don't get some strange looks, anyway.


Aida likes playing with them now...just this morning we had a tea party with all of them.  And a couple of her other friends, too.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

It's good to see actual toys haven't quite been replaced by ipads and video games. That's what I'm encouraging at my house, too. I've forgotten how many adventures one could have with a old Burger King crown and a doll and an empty box.
Too often it seems that these days the imaginations of children are beginning to atrophy, which is very sad.

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home