Friday, August 12, 2016

meteors

I read yesterday about the current Perseid meteor shower, and went out around 11:30 last night to see if much would be visible in the night sky.  I wasn't sure I'd see much because there is a great deal of city light drowning out the starlight where I currently am.  Even the big dipper is a little vague at night, although it is visible, as are other bright stars in the sky.

I only stayed outside for maybe ten or fifteen minutes, but I was able to see three meteors.  The first two flashed near the horizon, while the third blazed overhead in a terrific streak of light and glittering dust.  It was incredibly beautiful.

Woodcut by Adolph Vollmy of the 1833 Leonid meteor shower  (after Karl Jauslin) c. 1889


It brought to mind a time several years ago when I was driving through the mountains of Utah or Idaho, I think.  I don't remember where it was for sure...I was headed somewhere for work.  It was late at night, and the area through which I was passing was heavily forested and desolate feeling.  Suddenly, the sky lit up with intense brightness and something streaked through the sky, crossing my field of vision and disappearing into the forest, which also lit up with the intense light.  It was really phenomenal, and almost a little frightening.

As I recall, I heard a short time later (maybe on the radio...I don't remember) that a meteor had landed in the area.  I sure don't remember the details, but I remember the way it looked and how awed I was by it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home