Friday, September 21, 2007

Mahmud Kayed

The following is a news article concerning a Palestinian teenager who was run over by an Israeli military bulldozer. There are so many instances and little news articles of Palestinians being killed in the Occupation that never make a ripple in the media or the national conscience--so, why choose this article to highlight here? There are a couple of reasons. I accidentally saw an image of the outcome of this event and it was seared into my brain; so, there is an emotional reason. And the emotional is not just tied to the image I saw--all of these various and many incidents of children being killed as a result of the Occupation are both incredibly tragic and should be highlighted and discussed and known about. The other reason is the similarity this incident bears to another tragic death in Gaza--that of Rachel Corrie. As I type this, I know Rachel Corrie's name--I did not have to look it up; it is there, lodged in my brain. But, as I type this, I have no idea what the name is of this 16 year old youth who, like Rachel Corrie, was crushed to death under the treads of a bulldozer that was made and sold by an American company and operated by the Israeli military.

We should never forget Rachel Corrie or her life--her humanity, her work, her ideas, and her love. And I want to never forget this 16 year old boy in Gaza. A boy who had a family, who had dreams and loves and hopes. He, like Rachel Corrie, was resisting the Occupation the only way he knew how.

AFP - Thursday, September 20 01:13 pm
GAZA CITY (AFP) - A 16-year-old Palestinian boy was killed on Thursday after being run over by an Israeli army bulldozer during a military incursion in the Gaza Strip, medics and witnesses said.

Mahmud Kayed was run over by the bulldozer when it lurched towards a group of youths throwing rocks at the vehicle during the army incursion in the Al-Bureij refugee camp, they said.

Four Palestinians, including two militants from the Hamas movement that has ruled Gaza for three months, were wounded by Israeli gunfire during the operation, medics said.

The two militants, one of whom was seriously wounded, were injured by helicopter fire, medics said.

Israeli bulldozers were ripping up farmland in the area, while soldiers were going house to house searching for militants and weapons, they said.

No comment from the Israeli army was immediately available.

The death brings to 5,866 the number of people killed since the start of the second Palestinian uprising in in September 2000, the vast majority of them Palestinians, according to an AFP tally.

2 Comments:

Blogger ben said...

Hey, while I'm thinking about it, I need your address. I've got something I wanna mail you.
It's that book I was telling you about at the reunion: "Pyongyang--A Journey in North Korea." It's a graphic novel.

Do you have my email? I can't remember.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben,
Yeah, I do have your email....I'll send you my mailing address. Thanks very much! I am excited to read that.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home