Wednesday, October 07, 2009

...in bed

I was having a shitty afternoon and evening. I finally left the house and biked a bit in the dark and felt so much better. I was reminded of being outside, walking down sidewalks, during college and feeling very much alive. I remember leaving a building on campus after an evening class and walking under the old trees; everything felt large and expansive and possible and unknown.

This bike ride was just a little bit like that.

And now I am home and drinking a beer after eating beans and toast. Am I in the Britain?

And I remember something that I read that a musician said after a motorcycle accident--something about how if he hurt his hands, he'd figure out something else to do.

Maybe that's in some fortune cookie in another world. In much more eloquent prose, of course.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I remember that - weren't we drinking beer on campus that night? That was fun!

Those kinds of bike rides are great too! As long as you avoid parking lot obstacles.

11:41 PM  
Blogger matt iv said...

Yeah, I think I know the night you're talking about...! That was fun!

I remember biking home late at night from Mike's Grandma's place and hitting a chain that went across a parking lot or something. It's kind of a vague memory now....but I remember enough of it, I guess.

How about those nights around the fireplace in the basement of Mike's Grandma's? That reminds me--do you remember Battlemasters, that board game that we'd play some times? The last time I visited my folks, I found that game stored away and brought it back. Jen and I played it a couple of times and now it's back in a closet or something.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Plains folk said...

I have great memories of walking down empty sidewalks on cool winter nights in Fargo as well. Looking up at the giant elm branches against a clear star lit sky.
Most of the memories are from several blocks to the east of the campus.
I also remember a crazy night that me and you had visiting Christ at that old art building on campus...
Crazy!!

8:32 AM  
Blogger matt iv said...

hell, yeah, i remember that night at the art building! that was interesting, indeed.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home