Monday, October 15, 2007

steamboat morning

Just looking back on the last couple posts, all I can say is 'wow, it seems I can be pretty melodramatic.'

I got up a bit earlier than usual this morning and walked over to a bagel shop that opens early here in Steamboat Springs. There is a computer here, so I am taking a few minutes to check email and write a quick thing here.

I'm in Steamboat for a survey project. I really like this time of year! The chilly weather, the colors of the leaves, all that goes along with the season. I brought some comic books along, too, and I've been enjoying reading them. I'm also reading Emma Goldman's autobiography--it is really engaging and good to be reading.

This last weekend the U.S. celebrated Columbus Day. The way I see it, celebrating that holiday is celebrating imperialism and reinforcing its values. It was imperialism that brough Columbus to the Americas. It was imperialism that carved its wake through the indigineous people in the Americas. It was imperialism and its partner colonialism that spread murder and slavery through the Americas. And 515 years later, it's imperialism that is the driving paradigm behind the U.S. invasion and occupation of Iraq. So, this is a very relevant thing. It is not some piece of ancient, dead history. What is celebrated through the federal and state recognition of Columbus day is alive and well and still wreaking havoc on the lives of people around the world.

I wanted to say something about that. The sun is up and I'm gonna get going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home