Friday, February 01, 2008

through the woods

It's up to North Dakota. I've got a ticket for a bus leaving today. I'm going to visit my grandparents and my parents, too, who will be at my grandparents'. My grandparents are going to be moving into town, so I wanted to visit them again while they still live in the house that they have always lived in since I was alive. I'm also going to help a bit with the move.

I think it would be really difficult to move after living somewhere for so long. And just the move from the country into town would be hard, too. I hope it goes well for them and that they find aspects of their new living conditions enjoyable. Hopefully, there will be a good community for them to become a part of.

Thinking about it is sad for me. The woods that we played in growing up. The playhouse my grandparents built in the woods. I remember playing out there with my siblings and my grandmother. There were a couple of old desks out under the boxelder trees and cupboards in the playhouse. And an old trash can that was so cool because it had a foot pedal that opened the lid.

Growing up, we spent a lot of time over there. We lived close and so it was easy to visit. We've had a lot of fantastic family time there. Holidays were a great time to see family (Ben knows what I'm talking about, about the whole thing, I think). There used to be so many of us that we had to have a second "kids" table. I remember sitting at that, while my parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles ate at the "grownup" table. Looking back, it doesn't seem like it lasted long enough.

We've played many a game at the dining room table over the years. And games outside, too. I've found snakes in the flowerbeds and deer in the woods. And boxelder bugs are rarely far away.

I have lots of memories of family that are tied to that place. Many of them are from quite awhile ago. I remember things from when everyone was many years younger and it's kinda funny to imagine people like that, when they are younger than today.

Anyway, I'm not really packed yet so I had better get moving.

2 Comments:

Blogger bierwoman said...

Wow Matt, that brought back many memories of my childhood spending time at my grandmother's house in Sykeston ND. My cousins and I used to have so much fun playing together just running around in a small town and being wild and free! Free to be kids; making forts, swimming at the lake, going to the dairy inn for summer treats, ah how fun! It was really sad when my Grandma had to move to a larger town to live in an apartment because her house became too much for her to manage... It was strange being at the auction seeing so much of her and our family life being auctioned off. I can't imagine how difficult it was for her...
I hope you have a safe journey to and while you are in ND. And although it may be a bit bittersweet, enjoy your time with your family!
Take care and have fun!
~mlb

12:47 PM  
Blogger ben said...

I am very sad to have learned that they are moving--Mom only told me a few days ago. Definitely not enough time to make arrangements to up there.
I remember walking through the woods, always having to be checked for ticks afterwards, looking at Tyler's gravestone (was that the dog's name?) but I think having all those tables for holidays and stuff just to fit everyone is what I will remember the most.

You should take lots of pictures.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home