Saturday, February 09, 2008

snow and cold wind

It's cold ears in Billings. After much walking around and happening to catch the last bus back into downtown, I'm in a coffee shop that's only open for another half hour (and there happens to be a computer here).

I really like this 14 hour layover stuff. Seriously. It has something to do with just being in some place and having time to explore a little, sit and read, or just think.

Being in Bismarck and helping my grandparents move was a very good time. There is a lot to learn from others and their lives. And just being together is a wonderful thing. And I laughed a lot with my mom and dad. It was just a really good time in lots of ways.

My ears are burning a little now that they are warming up.

An older man just walked by me and asked if I wanted to see an instrument from the 1800's. I said sure and he showed me a zither that was his grandfather's. It looks kind of like a guitar and harp put together. It's pretty flat and made of dark wood, many strings, and some brass-looking detailing. It's pretty cool.

He told me that if I want to hear zither music, I should check out a movie from 1949 called the Third Man. I think I'll try to watch that sometime.

It's starting to darken outside. The person I rode next to on the bus from Bismarck is on his way to Seattle. He wasn't sure if the pass would be open--he had already been delayed by storms after he left Green Bay.

He's fifty-five and grew up on the Rosebud reservation in South Dakota. He has a son who's 26 and lives on Rosebud and two younger daughters, 10 and 12, who live with his ex-wife in Wisconsin. He's headed out to Seattle to stay awhile with his girlfriend who he meet a couple of years ago at the annual Rosebud pow-wow.

I enjoyed hearing some of his stories. He used to hitchhike back in the seventies and early eighties but now he buses; he travels quite a bit. I think he has two brothers still alive, the rest of his siblings (I think he had seven all together) are dead now. He visits his children and his remaining siblings and travels around. He wears black shoes and took them off during the ride to rest his feet.

I hope he finds some good time in Seattle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home