Monday, March 17, 2008

book of faces

I lied awake most of the night. I just couldn't sleep. It felt like the entire night I was awake, my mind was all over the place and sleep just wasn't happening

Last night, as I was cleaning up the house a bit before I went to bed, I came across one of my high school annuals. I started flipping through it and ended up looking at it for quite awhile. I realized I have forgotten a lot of names but I remember the faces. It was pretty crazy looking through all those photos and names. It brought back a lot of memories. In a lot of ways, that period of life wasn't the greatest (probably for a lot of people); I mean, there were difficult times and looking back at my life, I'm sometimes not all that happy about how I was. But there were lots of good things, too. And a lot of experiencing and learning and growing and important times with family and friends.

While I looked at the photos of old friends, acquaintances, and people I just sort of recognized from going to school together for years, I wondered what they are doing in their lives now? Who knows? There are endless paths, I suppose, and no way to really predict or know where someone will be and what someone will be doing. Or what their interests might be or what unexpected situations might have arisen or what new ideas and thoughts someone might have encountered. I guess I didn't know that stuff about a lot of the people pictured in the yearbook even when I was going to school with them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Plains folk said...

Sometimes things like that seem more than just coincidence... don't they?
Sometimes I will think of someone that I haven't thought about for years and then a short time later I will see them or hear something about them.
Anyway, this came to mind as I was reading... and it brought back a lot of good memories!!

"All the people we used to know
They're an illusion to me now.
Some are mathematicians
Some are carpenter's wives.
Don't know how it all got started,
I don't know what they're doin' with their lives.
But me, I'm still on the road
Headin' for another joint
We always did feel the same,
We just saw it from a different point of view,
Tangled up in blue."

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home