Thursday, March 13, 2008

it takes a second

A good day has been happening. Right now I'm listening to a record on a record player my brother gave me while I was in Chicago. And it sounds really good.

and we love to wear our badge
and we love to fly our flag

Yep. War. A good album I haven't listened to in years, since I gave my sister a cd that I had had of it.

And before that a tape of classical music I found in a dumpster. Speaking of dumpsters, I ate a fantastic dinner tonight and it all came from scavenging garbage cans. I cooked up some broccoli, onions, sweet potatoes, and carrots and fried tofu and mushrooms. It was delicious.

This afternoon I found a book at a nearby thrift store. At this thrift store there are big bins on wheels that are full of books, most of which I have no desire to read. But rummaging through the haphazardly dumped books sometimes results in something interesting. Today I found this book called Conformity and Conflict: Readings in Cultural Anthropology. I started reading it late this afternoon and it's great. It's making me think (like books should).

I'm also reading a book by Ursula K. Le Guin called The Eye of the Heron. It's also a great book so far. I have really liked the other books I've read by her (The Dispossessed being one of my favorites but also The Left Hand of Darkness, The Telling, Rocannon's World, City of Illusions, Planet of Exile, Very Far Away From Anywhere Else, Word for World is Forest, and The Beginning Place); she is an amazing writer and thinker. The book I'm reading now is, in a large part, about nonviolence and authority/hierarchy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home